High Harrington Sandpit


A loco with the Furness Railway Co's wagon no. 712, loaded with sand,
standing on the Harrington branch of the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway
beside the branch line into the sandpit behind Glebe Terrace & Home Crescent
in High Harrington.


These pictures date from around 1900.



A view of the loco in the sandpit

A fully loaded train pulling out of the sand pit

The sand pits showing the rear of Church Road Terrace and
Harrington St. Mary's parish church with it's pre-1907 low tower.

The site of the sand pits and the railway bridge as it appears today.