The Pier & Lighthouse

Harrington stone pier and the lighthouse with Workington Iron & Steel Works
in the background.
The lighthouse was erected by Mr. Curwen of Curwen Hall, Workington, in 1848.



The pier, the wooden pier and the breakwater


The pier was washed down by the sea in 1863 and rebuilt in 1864.

 

A stone commemorating the destruction and rebuilding of the pier
can still be seen built into the pier.


Storm waves breaking over the pier

The lighthouse was severely damaged by the sea at 5.30 pm on Saturday, 7th February, 1931 and was subsequently demolished..

Here local people survey the wreckage of the lighthouse.

Storm damge to the pier

The pier with part of it demolished