Harrington Magnesite Works


The Magnesite works were built during the second world war to extract magnesium from sea water. The water was pumped into the vast concrete basins by the pump house on the end of the pier, which was only recently demolished. The works closed in 1953.

The biggest impact on the people of Harrington (apart from the jobs created) was the white dust which covered the houses and gardens of the surrounding area.


There are books available about the Harrington Magnesite Works - see MagnesiteBooks