Harrington Harbour (2)

The harbour was greatly enlarged in 1891 and covered two and a half acres with a quay 1250 feet long. It could take ships up to 1200 tons and had cranes capable of lifting 10 tons. In 1899 755 steam ships with a total tonnage of 270,000 tons used the harbour.

The block ship being installed across the harbour entrance in 1940

After the second world war the harbour entrance remained sealed
and the pillbox was still on top of the blocked entrance.


The Quayside


Deans's Shop

The Butcher's Cart


Waugh's Post Office on Quay Street

 


The top of the harbour

The same view today

Click here to go to Harrington Harbour (1)

Click here to go to Harrington Harbour (3)