Copperas Hill


The loco approaching Copperas Hill station is passing the row of houses which were originally related to the large chemical works which was situated behind the station.
The foundations of the houses can still be seen.

The works produced green copperas (hence the name) as well as vitriol, acids and other products listed on the bankruptcy poster. The business went bankrupt in 1835.

The plans of the Chemical Works below show the large scale of the operation.

The plans of the works can be seen in more detail, together with the bankruptcy poster, by clicking here.




The decline of the station and the line.


What's left of the station today.


The wartime pillbox on Copperas Hill